Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Personal Dietary Modifications.


Personal Diet Modifications.

As I Stated in my introduction, as fitness professional I know the importance of consuming a healthy diet. I also know that to achieved optimal physical wellness, physical activity and proper nutrition will have to go hand in hand (Anspaugh et al 2011). . Ever since studying the dimension of wellness, and their interconnectedness with one another, I have been quite surprised to discover however some simple lifestyle choices could affect multiple dimensions of wellness (Barwais et al 2014). Poor diet is a lifestyle habit that affects overall health immediately or in the long run (Sizer & Whitney 2013), I try to avoid long-term consequences by eating nutrition-dense meals.




My dietary strengths include the consumption of good carbohydrate, vitamins, minerals, proteins, healthy fatty acids and fiber-rich foods. I truly believe that the body craves what it is fed, and I have always loved fruits and vegetables, I am not one of those who have an aversion to produce and had to force myself to eat them. I love to snack on fruits, and I love to eat raw or oven roasted vegetable as a side to almost every meal. I also enjoy whole grains as a staple at least once a day; again I love the texture of whole grain breads, pasta, and oatmeal and often use whole-wheat flour in my baking. I absolutely love lean meats like chicken, and salmon and tilapia. I try to eat one on these at least once a day, and especially salmon at least once a week. The perfect quick meal I often prepare for myself is ‘Pan-Seared Salmon and Roasted vegetables’; I also love to add nuts and avocados to my salads.

Here's a link to my favorite recipe:


My dietary weaknesses include snacking at inappropriate times on not so healthy foods. I have a sweet tooth and often cannot avoid the temptation of cake and since I bake often for my family it is difficult to avoid. I also don’t drink enough water, I drink water before, during and after each workout, and however I would drink homemade sweet tea and lemonade with most meals. While I try to prepare all my meals with very little oil, I have a penchant for adding butter to staples like steamed rice and vegetables; I also often enjoy a few slices of whole wheat bread with butter spread on it.




I have already slowly started making changes to my dietary plan to help me consume healthier meals and meet recommended dietary guidelines. I started going to bed earlier to prevent the ‘midnight snacking’, what ever I can’t get done before 9pm will have to wait till the next day. I also started to offer my family more fruits and fruit and vegetable smoothies as a healthier sweet treat alternative and have temporarily stopped baking sweets. I also reduced the amount of sugar I put in homemade sweet tea and lemonade, I have also limited my kids and I to one cup a day, after which we must drink water when thirsty and with remaining meals.  I also reduce the amount of butter I put in foods, and I only prepare meals with butter once a week. I am also opting for peanut butter sandwiches as a snack as opposed to bread and butter.
Another strategy that not only keeps me from over-indulging but helps me meet guidelines is an app on my phone called MyFitnesspal, I find that when I see the calorie content of what I’m about to eat I am more likely to consume more nutrition-dense foods than calorie-dense foods.




References:
Anspaugh, D. J., Hamrik, M. H., & Rosato, F. D. (2011). Wellness concepts and
 Applications. (8th ed.). New York: NY, McGraw-Hill Higher Education

Barwais, F.A., Cuddihy, T.F., & Tomson, L. (2014). Adult Total Wellness: Group Differences Based on Sitting Time and Physical Activity Level. BMC Public Health, 14 (1), 1-15

Sizer, F. & Whitney, E. (2013).  Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies (13th ed.).  Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.




1 comment:

  1. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete